Saturday, November 6, 2010

Is this Recyclable?

     I grew up on a farm.  I'm sure I've mentioned that in my blog before.  When I was younger, on the farm, my family was already recycling.  My mother (one year) saved the tv guides (when they were small magazine-like books) and then had my sister and I help her dog ear all the pages including front and back cover to mid-page then she took them outside and sprayed them down with green paint to make our own decorations for Christmas (in case you can't imagine, they looked like Christmas Trees).  It's at least one form of recycling and a fun family project as well.

     My parents also saved egg cartons.  We were never in short supply of egg cartons and re-used them when we would gather eggs from our very own chickens.  We also used egg cartons for other things as well, like Barbie shoe closets or paper clip separators.  My mother was always coming up with clever ideas of how to use things like that for arts & crafts.  In some ways, I'm jealous of all the ideas she came up with over the years.

     This post is about recycling, so how about I try to stay on topic.  :)  I cooked breakfast the other day and after using up the last two eggs in the carton, I tossed it into the recycle bin.  My boyfriend comes along and says "Honey, I'm sorry to tell you this, but this is not recyclable."  He took the carton out of our bin and threw it into the garbage and my heart sank.  I know he's correct, I know that there are certain things that while I believe they are or should be recyclable, simply just are not.  It really does break my heart.  I would much rather throw everything into the recycle bin and tell the people at the recycling place to "figure out a way to make it recyclable"!  But sadly that is not an option.

     I do believe, that given time more and more things will become recyclable.  I already know that I've been re-using things around the house more and more to keep from having as much garbage.  For example, an old water container with a spout is now my tea pitcher.  I use it to make sun tea.  Jars and other containers have found themselves cut in half and used as planters in the garden.  Even a cardboard drinking cup that has that fancy waxy coating has become a little planter for small items.  Lately I've also been purchasing more and more foods that come in reusable containers because it's nice to have them around and not have to feel bad about all the waste that I'm causing with the purchase of my food.

     Finally, an interesting photo to go along with the theme of this post.  Because I sincerely cannot wait for the day when EVERYTHING is recyclable, but for now... at least the list is longer than when I was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment